If it’s your first time shopping for Muay Thai gloves, you might’ve noticed just how much more pricey some pairs can be over others. You may then wonder why is that so.
- Physical retail store vs online – Products sold in physical stores will always be more expensive. The reason behind is simple, online stores can afford to give discounts more often as they have lower costs associated with running their stores. But, between online stores and physical ones, it’s best to buy from a retail store, especially if it’s your first time to buy a pair of Muay Thai gloves. This is so as you can see for yourself firsthand how they look in person and try them on for yourself before buying. Also, try to avoid buying equipment from your gym, they often charge a premium for the convenience.
- Quality of materials and construction. The quality and comfort of a pair of Muay Thai gloves depend on the material used to make them. Some are made out of real leather, while others are made from synthetic materials. Gloves made from Thai leather are particularly worth taking note of and are way better compared to cheap ones you can get in sports stores.
- Brand – Lesser-known and low quality brands sell their products for a cheaper price because they’re not as good. Meanwhile, brands such as Fairtex, Twins and Top King sell slightly more expensive products because their products are just that much better. In general, Thailand brands sell cheaper gear compared to North American brands, despite manufacturing superior products.
- Size – The bigger the gloves, the more expensive it’ll be. By that logic alone, 8oz gloves will cost you much less compared to 160z gloves. When shopping online, most online retailers often advertise the price of the smallest size they have available, so expect to pay more unless you’re looking for a pair of 8oz or 10oz Muay Thai gloves.
- Color and style – Brand names such as Top King, Twins and Fairtex are known for high-quality gloves that also come in a variety of fancier colors and design. If you’re a beginner, it’d be wise to avoid spending money on a pair of fancy gloves, and opt for a basic-looking one as the premium just isn’t worth it.
- Country of origin – The best Muay Thai Gloves are made in Thailand. Not only do they use better materials, but the quality assurance there is just much better, most likely because of the cheaper labor costs. Coming second are those made in North America. If possible, avoid gloves made in China or Pakistan as while they’re cheaper, you can expect the quality to suffer.
Word of the wise. Invest in two gloves, one for sparring and drills, and another pair for pad and pad or bag work.
Since a typical pair of brand name basic 16oz Muay Thai gloves will set you back around $50 to $70, so you’re looking at around $100 for two pairs. A bit expensive, but they’ll be worth it as you can expect them to last you for years so long as you take proper care of them.